Thursday, August 12, 2010

We are home!

We got in last night a little early around 8:30. We landed in Miami around 3, and let me tell you, we were pretty excited to be on US soil. We woke up 5 am, 3 am west coast time and headed to the Port Au Prince airport, where we proceeded to sit for the next 4 hours. We tried to buy something to drink, but as a business man referred to it, we didn't have any Haitian "funny money," and they weren't accepting debit cards or American money. We were in quite the predicament considering the extensive amount of time we were spending at that airport. But the kind business man felt bad for us, so he offered us his change. It was the beginning to a very long, highly entertaining day.
The flight to Miami was gorgeous. I tried really hard to sleep but it just wasn't happening, which ended up being a good thing because I got to look out the window and journal. Even after spending three months in Europe I wasn't this excited to be on US soil. All I could think about was eating something fast foodish. The most American thing we could find. Which let me tell you, this was quite difficult. Not that I wanted to eat McDonalds, but it is American, and I would have eaten it. Our options came down to a corn dog or Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut won. Although eating something soo greasy on an empty stomach did not sit well. But it was American and fast food, so I won't complain. But, all of that had to wait until we made it through customs. It wasn't that bad. Which was a little surprising. Minus the fact that we had to get our bags when we were in Miami and recheck them. I am not a huge fan of baggage claims in general, but I knew that once we finished we could get our fast food, so I was going to get through baggage claim if it took everything I had. And as you can tell by the previous story, I made it to the pizza.
The flight from Miami to LA was a little more brutal. Mainly because we wanted to get home. The In and Out we got as soon as we got back made it all worth it though. It was like heaven in my mouth. We all swore getting off the plane that we would not eat beans, rice or chicken. All we could think about was eating beef. Well that goal was dashed today when my dad brought over El Pollo Loco. Eating the rice was beyond my capability, but I did manage to get some beans and rice down. Today was a very relaxing day to help me recover from two weeks of non stop chaos. And because Renee told me that I looked pale, so I had to work on getting my tan back. As hot as it was, we spent as much time as possible in the shade, which apparently made my tan fade. Except for the sweet tan line I now have on my feet from my shoes.
There are still our last few days while we were in Haiti that I still have to write about, but I am getting a little sleepy, and I really don't want to walk down the hall to get my journal which is where all of the great stories are kept. But on the upside, all the photos are now uploaded to my computer awaiting me to go through them and post them. There are even some amazing videos that I can not wait to share! Be looking for those soon as well!

No comments: