Saturday, August 14, 2010

I know we have been home for almost a week, but I finally have a little bit of time, so I wanted to share some photos with you all. And of course to tell a few more stories.

It is funny to look back in my journal now. It feels like it was yesterday and a year ago all at the same time. It feels to backwards to be home. Things like driving and taking warm showers felt wrong for the first couple of days. Eating was not very much fun when I first got back either. I was craving food, and it sounded so good for like 5 minutes, then I would think about eating it and get nauseated. It was so sad. We ate In and Out on our drive home from the airport, and it was so good that I ate it so fast, but I felt sooo sick after eating it. It was very upsetting. Also, I swore I would not eat rice, beans or chicken for a month, but my dad came to visit Thursday after we got back, and what did he bring for dinner? Rice, beans and chicken. I tried to eat it to be nice since it was so kind of him to bring it over, but eating rice just was not going to happen. So I sucked it up and forced the chicken and beans down, but the rice just wasn't happening. Luckily by Saturday I could eat again. I have been craving Chipotle since I was in Haiti, but I still can not bring myself to eat it. Anyways, moving on to some pictures.

This is Adrienne and I at the airport on our way to Haiti with our backpacks. We each had 2 checked bags of VBS supplies, so we put all of our personal items in our backpacks and took them through security. We luckily ended up gate checking the ones on our backs.

We seriously looked like a circus going into the airport though. And even leaving the Haiti airport. Between the 5 of us we ended up with 13 checked bags and 5 personal backpacks. Adrienne's parents helped us at LAX, but once we got to Port Au Prince we were on our own. Which was insane. After we got through customs we hit baggage claim which was the most chaotic thing I think I have ever experienced. I think I got more bruises from that experience than the rest of the trip combined. People would ran into you with their bags and the carts for their bags and then get mad at you for being in the way. And then trying to get 13 bags off of the carousel was not pretty. Especially with people pushing you and getting mad at you. And none of us spoke a lick of French or Creole which didn't help. I am pretty sure people were cussing us out (even though we weren't doing anything wrong) and we didn't understand a word of it.


This picture doesn't do justice to the amount of stuff we had.

These are some pictures of our supplies and donations once we got to our room. This is the first room we stayed in. It was two adjoining rooms. We ended up moving to just one room which was actually much better.



Backtracking a little to our last few days there...

So, the last time that I blogged from Haiti, I mentioned that just Adrienne and I had walked to the internet cafe with our translator Gustave. Well, after we finally finished (we sat there for an hour before we got to actually use a computer, and then between the two of us it took like an hour to use the internet) it was pouring rain. And I mean pouring. I saw a plastic bag on the floor and I asked Gustave if I could take it to put my journal and my money wallet in so that they didn't get soaked on our walk home. Well he didn't really answer me, so I just moved on. Well, as we were leaving he grabbed it, but not for me, he put it on his head (as if it was actually going to help). Adrienne kept my journal mostly dry, and I had my money wallet around my waste and under shirt, so it as well stayed mostly dry. But just picture Adrienne and I running through the streets, in flip flops, in the pouring rain, through trash water that was up to our ankles. Oh, and to add to it, as you walk down the sidewalk there are huge holes that are like 5 feet deep filled with sewage water as well. And don't forget the slimy mud that is slippery. So there we are, running down the street through ankle deep trash water trying to see these 5 feet holes and the slimy mud. We manages to avoid all of the holes, but we were not so lucky with the mud. Somehow we managed to stay on our feet though. It was quite the experience to add to our already crazy trip. I loved every minute of it.

The next day we had our last day of VBS in Leogane, and then we got to help with the food distribution again. They are so grateful for bags of rice and nuts, it is very humbling. After that we moved the school desks out of the tent of doom to the street so that they could be taken from the church to the secondary school. I have never been so impressed with a packing job in my life. I did not know that you could transport that many desks at a time, let alone stack them in that way. We move a hundred something desks out of the tent to the street. And when the driver of the truck had to leave we had like 30 something desks that had yet to be taken to the secondary school that we got to move back into the tent. Our shins paid the price for that one. Adrienne is a beast and was helping one of the guys carry 2 at a time. The rest of us decided more work was worth it and only carried one at a time.

This is the man that we saw sleeping on his motorcycle

These are photos of us on the side of the road when we got our flat tire.

This is when we went to the beach. The water was so warm.

This is the motorcycle ride that we finally convinced Pastor Millian to let us go on... he was a little reluctant. He kept saying our parents wouldn't let us go, so he wouldn't. But after moving all the desks I guess he felt bad for us and agreed!

This was from our last day working in Leogane. We got to haul concrete from the front of the church to the back in buckets. We were laying the foundation for the new brick wall that was going to be built around the church. It took a lot of convincing, but Pastor Millian finally realized that we wanted to get dirty and do some manual labor. And boy did he give us manual labor. We also met probably our least favorite person while we were doing this. It was some guy who kept telling us to work harder. It didn't help that he was wearing Celtics basketball shorts. He later proceeded to ask me for my e-mail address (this is equivalent to a guy asking a girl for her phone number here in the states). I proceeded to tell him that I didn't give my e-mail address to guys who wore Celtics shorts. Afterward I saw him hanging all over his girlfriend. Oh the Haitian men that we met.

This is Joseph. He kind of spoke English so he was considered our interpreter during Sunday School while Pastor Millian was preaching. He was super sweet.
This is Pastor Millian. Can you tell how excited he is to be with us when we are that dirty?

And this is Gustave, our translator. This was at the airport right before we left. The cleanest we were in 2 weeks!
I have tons more photos. Too many to post all of on here. There are some on shutterfly already, but I am adding more. And I am also adding our videos to shutterfly. I will post the link once I get that done. I hope you all enjoyed a little snapshot of our time in Haiti. It was amazing, and I know that I for one can not wait to go back! Thank you all so much for your prayers and support while we were there! God is going great things in that country! I was so blessed to see even just a small part of it.

No comments: