Saturday, July 31, 2010

Live from Haiti

We were taken to an internet cafe today, so I thought I would update everyone and let you all know we are doing great! We are all loving it here. I don't think I have ever been this hot in my life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Today is our first day not doing VBS. We went to the grocery store to buy some supplies for a craft, and then to some other little store where we bought 2 soccer balls so that we can play with the kids. We told all the kids in Leogane yesterday to bring a change of clothes to church tomorrow so that we can play after.
Last night we experienced our first Haitian storm. All five of us were up on the roof when it hit. We like to go up there and do devotions, journal, and just read. And when we saw the storm coming, we put all of our stuff in plastic bags and stayed up there for a little bit of it. I can not believe how wet we got so fast! It was amazing.
It is absolutely beautiful here. There is something about being immersed in another culture that makes you speechless. I could sit up on that roof, or drive around and just be left speechless. There is so much beauty here. The fact that they still worship God in the midst of so much destruction is very humbling. We attended the first hour or so of a church service last night. It went from 7-12. We stayed for a little and helped them mop up some of the water. It was such an amazing thing to experience. Although we didn't understand a word of the service, they were worshipping in a way that I have never seen.
All together, this is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. I know that we are all loving every minute of being here. We are treated like royalty. They bring us our meals, and then knock on the door to let us know it has been served. We even have air conditioning! And yesterday they brought us a platter of mango, we ate it in like 2 minutes flat! It was delicious!

Well, I think that about sums it up as quickly as I could. There is only one computer, and I know others would like to use it.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. God has definitely been present and moving. He went before us and prepared everything, and we are continually seeing how He is working here. It is such a blessing to each and every one of us! We love you all!

1 comment:

steph said...

God is certainly great. I miss you girls very much.